High production and high risks
Isla is a refinery on the Isla Peninsula in Curaçao. It has a capacity of 350000 barrels nominally per day. The refinery was opened in 1918 by the Royal Netherlands Petroleum Company (later Shell). In 1985, the license was issued to Petróleos de Venezuela (PDVSA), which expired on December 31, 2019. Since then, the Curaçao government has continued to operate.
Hydraulic analysis, design & engineering
- FPC Risk concluded an umbrella contract with Petroleos de Venezuela SA (PDVSA)
- We conducted a hazard assessment of the entire 350.000 barrel/day refinery and developped Isla's safety and fire protection philosophy and preparation of overall fire safety upgrading programme for the entire refinery.
- A Hydraulic analysis of firewater supply system.
- Detailed Engineering and Design of the installation of two new large fire pump stations and detailed basic engineering for upgrading of fixed fire protection/detection systems for LPG storage, jetties, tank farms and process units
- Preparation of the basic engineering design and tender package for upgrading of the refinery's entire fire and gas detection, alarm and communication system
- Detailed engineering design of fire protection and detection systems for 25 storage tanks at Bullenbaai Terminal
- Assistance to ISLA with QRA (Quantitative Risk Assessment) study for upgrading of the fire protection systems of the entire refinery